Thanh Ha lychee is a famous special fruit of Hai Duong province with the first tree planted in Thuy Lam village, Thanh Son commune, Thanh Ha district nearly 200 years ago.
The ancestral lychee tree in Thuy Lam village, Thanh Son commune, Thanh Ha district
Thanh Ha lychee is a famous special fruit of Hai Duong province; the first tree was planted by ancestor Hoang Phuc Thanh (also called Hoang Van Com) in Thuy Lam village, Thanh Son commune, Thanh Ha district nearly 200 years ago. So far, this tree has still yielded fruit and people call it the ancestral lychee tree.
Thanks to fertile alluviums and appropriate natural conditions, Thanh Ha lychee is very delicious. It has spherical shape, a bright pink-red shell, crunchy white pulp, a small seed, sweet taste and light fragrance. Thieu lychee is associated with the origin of Thanh Ha district, so it is always remembered as “Thanh Ha lychee”.
* Identifying characteristics
- General characteristics: Thanh Ha lychee has the smallest size among all varieties of lychee today.
- Size: slightly round, height: 3.3-3.4 cm, width: 3.4-3.5 cm, ratio of height to width: 0.94 - 0.98.
- Weight: about 20 g/ fruit.
- Qualities: small fruit, lumpy shell, red (upon ripeness), small stem; thick, white and very sweet pulp with special flavor, accounting for about 80%; no acrid and thin brown membrane between the pulp and the seed like other kinds of lychee, sweet and smooth taste in the mouth. Seeds are very small and dark brown. The older lychee trees are, the smaller seeds they have, some lychee fruits are even seemingly seedless.
- Harvest time: The main crop is from mid-May to mid-July.
* Area and output
Now, the total area of lychee trees in Hai Duong province is from 10,500-11,000 ha with a yield of about 50,000 tons per year.
In 2018, the total output is estimated at about 55,000-60,000 tons, of which thieu lychee output is expected to reach 35,000 tons.
* Famous trademark
In 2007, Thanh Ha lychee was granted the "Geographical Indication" Certificate by the Ministry of Science and Technology. Since then, Thanh Ha lychee has been protected to ensure the interests of producers and consumers, increase value, and further facilitate the management and improvement of product quality.
In 2012, Thanh Ha lychee was listed in the "Top 50 products of good quality and prestige" voted by the Vietnam Standard and Consumers Association. In 2013 and 2014, Thanh Ha lychee was listed in the "Top 10 products of good quality and prestige" and became one of the specialities of the "Essence of three-region specialities". In 2015, the product was honored in the Top 1 and granted 2 awards: "Golden Brand” and “Impressive Logo and Slogan”. In 2016, Thanh Ha lychee was granted the certificate “Brand of safe and prestigious product” by the Vietnam Association of Food Safety Science and Technology.
* Sustainable plantation and production
Hai Duong province has 20 planting regions meeting VietGAP standards with a total area of 334 hectares and an output of 3,500 tons. Besides, over 8,000 hectares of lychee are being cultivated in accordance with the VietGAP process with an output of about 35,000 tons.
13 lychee planting regions in Hai Duong have been granted codes by the US Department of Agriculture's Plant Protection, eligible for export to the US, Australia and the EU. The regions cover 132 hectares, and the output eligible for export is over 1,000 tons.
Recently, Thanh Ha district has been granted 25 sets of lychee traceability codes. In particular, each code set has two tracing codes for early season lychee and main season lychee; the QR codes are used for traceability in the agricultural product traceability electronic information system. Hence, consumers will know in detail the origin of lychee fruits, including the village and commune where they were planted in accordance with the VietGAP or GlobalGAP, the planting process diary and the responsibility of planters for product quality.
* Consumption markets:
- Domestic markets: Ha Noi, Ho Chi Minh city, Can Tho, Hai Phong, Quang Ninh, Da Nang, Thua Thien - Hue, neighboring provinces and some central and Central Highland provinces.
- Export markets: China (main), United Arab Emirates, France, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand, the US, Sweden, Australia, Singapore, Canada, Russia and South Korea. Hai Duong lychee has been exported to the fastidious markets of the US, Australia, Japan, etc. since 2015 and is now being promoted for expansion to new markets.